In 1954, contract bridge was one of the most popular social activities in the United States.
A weekly "bridge night" was part of the routine of couples all over the country. Duplicate
tournaments drew enthusiastic entrants. Residents of the Pomona Valley were caught up in the
enthusiasm. In the summer of 1954 a group of prominent local citizens got together to form a
committee under the title "The Pomona Valley Bridge Club." They petitioned the American
Contract Bridge League - Western Division for a charter and membership in that organization.
In a letter dated August 13,1954, Tom Stoddard, the Western Division president, informed Jack
Mauer, the committee secretary, that their petition had been accepted. The Pomona Valley Bridge
Club was officially a member unit of the ACBL." Games were to be held at the VFW Hall in Pomona.
Mrs. Mabel Amsbry was chosen as the organization chairman. Other officers were Julius Jakobi,
J.E. Maurer, Mrs. Dorothy Stevens, and Mrs. Fran Gunckel. Committee chairmen included Mrs. Alice Coffman,
Robert Hagar, Mrs. Amsbry, Mrs. Gunckel, and Mr. Jakobi.
When the Western Division was eliminated the club petitioned the ACBL and was granted a charter in 1988.